contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.

865 Second Avenue West
Owen Sound, Ontario
Canada

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church: a church community of faithful disciples of Jesus Christ, worshiping in Owen Sound, Ontario.

Our History

Our History

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was formed in 1925 as a result of dissatisfaction with the proposed entry of the Presbyterian Church in Canada into union which brought the United Church of Canada into existence on June 10, 1925.

Division Street Presbyterian and Knox Presbyterian churches had voted in favour of union. Those who disagreed formed the Presbyterian Church Association and began to hold services in January 1925, first in the Women's Temperance Hall and then in the Classic Movie Theatre to accommodate the large attendance. Visiting ministers conducted services. The St. Andrew's congregation was formally organized on June 3, 1925. In August 1925, elders were elected for the new congregation.

A major issue during this time, was the division of properties and recompense for the "union" and "stalwart" congregations. Negotiations continued at all levels of government resulting in St. Andrew's being given $7,500.00 and then their decision in 1926 to build their own church.

In May 1926, St. Andrew's called Rev. John Taylor Strachan as the first minister of St. Andrew's, Owen Sound. The church was finally completed and dedicated on May 22, 1927.

This church has maintained its calling to be an active presence in Owen Sound and to this day, thanks to the vision and commitment of the congregation and succeeding ministers, St. Andrew's continues to lead a vital life of Christian Witness in Owen Sound.

(notes from "Owen Sound at Worship" by Minister Emeritus Rev. Kenneth Barker - Senior Minister at St. Andrew's 1989-1997)

Stained Glass Windows

The stained glass windows of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church are of superior quality and organization. They are valued gifts from family members of the church who have had intimate connections with the history and story of St. Andrew's Church Owen Sound. All windows were designed by McCausland Stained Glass, Toronto. The windows tell the story of the life of Christ beginning with His Nativity and ending with His resurrection. •Our windows remain visual sermons, visual riddles to be solved with Bible knowledge and Bible stories.

  The Nativity

The Nativity

  In the Carpenter Shop

In the Carpenter Shop

  Calling the Disciples

Calling the Disciples

  The Light of the World, St. Andrew & St. Paul

The Light of the World, St. Andrew & St. Paul

  Christ Blessing Children

Christ Blessing Children

  The Crucifixion

The Crucifixion

  The Resurrection

The Resurrection

  Part of the Chancel window - The Burning Bush

Part of the Chancel window - The Burning Bush

One window to study is "The Light of the World" where the figures of St. Andrew (our Patron Saint) and St. Paul (most well-known convert and leader in spreading the Gospel) flank the figure of Christ holding a lamp at a doorway. This window is a reflection on the famous Holman Hunt painting "The Light of the World" where Christ is portrayed as a figure trying to enter the 'door to our hearts'.

  North side windows, Sept. 19th, 1926

North side windows, Sept. 19th, 1926

  South side, Sept. 19th, 1926

South side, Sept. 19th, 1926

  Chancel window frame in place

Chancel window frame in place

Picture14.png
Back to top